Why You Should Service Your Boiler Annually
04th January 2019
Annual Boiler Servicing
Your boiler is a key piece of apparatus within your home. Most are powered by gas (but can be electric or oil) and they are used to heat the water in your home, either providing hot water for taps or for sending hot water to radiators for heating. Due to its importance within your home, it’s key to keep your boiler working at optimal performance. Much like the maintenance of a car, this simply means regularly servicing it to make sure it doesn’t break down and to keep it running smoothly. However, many people don’t know much about their boiler: when it should be serviced, how to get it serviced and all importantly: why you should get your boiler serviced.
Here at Plumbmaster, as dedicated heating and plumbing merchants, we’re committed to providing you with all the information you need regarding your home’s plumbing. For this reason, this blog post is going to answer all your boiler-related questions.
Firstly WHY should you get your boiler serviced?
- Legally landlords and businesses have to have their boilers serviced as it is their obligation to keep their property in top notch and to prioritise the safety of their tenants.
- Safety is a key reason for boiler servicing. Not only does it prevent small leaks but it prevents larger health concerns from said leaks: such as carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Servicing your boiler will save you money in the long run. It is much wiser to spend a little bit of money on regular servicing to highlight and fix small problems than having to spend a lot of money on replacing a boiler that has broken down. Servicing is much cheaper than having to replace your boiler.
- For many firms, boiler servicing is required to keep your insurance valid. The warranty for your boiler is also voided if you do not keep your boiler serviced.
- A boiler that is running efficiently will use your heat wisely and therefore cut down on your bills.
Now you’ve read the benefits, WHEN should you get your boiler serviced and HOW OFTEN?
- It is generally recommended that you get your boiler serviced annually. (Any more than this is unnecessary).
- However, if your boiler appears to be working inefficiently, it would be a smart to get it serviced – don’t wait until you have a problem!
- When you first move house it is always a good idea to get your boiler serviced. This way you know of any problems the previous owners may have left behind and you also have a date of the last time the boiler was serviced.
- Most people get their boiler serviced in winter when the bad weather is approaching. For this reason, it may be shrewd to get your boiler serviced during the summer as you will have to wait a shorter amount of time for an appointment (and your house won’t be left cold if the boiler is being fixed!)
Finally, you may be wondering, HOW is a boiler serviced?
- The cost of getting a boiler serviced varies from approximately £60 – £100. It usually takes around 20-30 mins and includes: checking there are no blockages and pipes are in good working order, making sure safety devices are functioning, checking gas pressure and flow, and making sure fans and all components and connections are functioning and in good condition.
Regular boiler inspections are vital for keeping your household energy efficient, preventing wasted energy and fuel, and importantly: keeping your bills low. The majority of boiler failures are from issues that are preventable, but the only way to make sure all your safety features are in order and working efficiently is through getting them inspected and serviced.
At Plumbmaster, we pride ourselves on being experts in our field, so if you have any more questions regarding boilers and getting them serviced, give us a call on 028 3861 6666.